Super simple and quick-cooking turmeric chicken breast cutlets topped with tangy and crunchy sumac slaw that has no dairy or mayo! It’s healthy and filling which makes it perfect for when I’m looking for a low carb weeknight meal.
I feel like we all grab for boneless, skinless chicken breast when we’re looking for an easy weeknight protein. Slicing it thin and quickly searing it keeps it juicy!
Boneless, skinless chicken breast could possibly be the most boring thing out there. It’s bland, blah chicken. But I find that if you pound it out, cover it in spices and top it with a tangy slaw, then it sure as hell ain’t so bad. When you flash fry chicken breast like this, there’s not much time for it to dry out. I love this recipe for a chicken sandwich.
Turmeric Chicken with Sumac Slaw
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp honey , or agave
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 head savoy cabbage , finely shredded, I use a mandoline
- 2-3 radishes , thinly sliced, I use a mandoline
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- canola oil
- 2-3 tbsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- kosher salt
- parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, sumac, white pepper and a big pinch of kosher salt.
- In a separate large bowl, add the cabbage and radishes. Set the slaw and dressing in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Butterfly the chicken by placing it on a cutting board and, with your hand flat on top, slice into one side of the breast, taking care not to slice the whole way through. Open the breast, cover with a large resealable bag and pound the breast with a flat mallet or rolling pin until about 1⁄4-inch thick.
- Season the cutlets with the turmeric, cumin, and a few pinches of kosher salt. Rub all over so the cutlets are completely covered.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the cutlets in batches, so as to not crowd the skillet, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.Flip and cook until cooked through, about another minute. Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
- Toss the dressing with the slaw.
- Plate the cutlets of chicken and slaw. Optional: Shave some parmesan over the slaw and sprinkle with sumac. Serve with a slather of mayo. Enjoy!