This gorgeous golden focaccia is packed with flavor. Lots of turmeric and cumin seeds are what gives the dough its beautiful color and aroma. I love serving this next to some feta cheese sprinkled with Aleppo pepper. This would be a perfect bread for a grilled vegetable sandwich too!
Golden Cumin Focaccia
- 450 grams lukewarm water , 2 cups
- 5 grams active dry yeast , 1 tsp
- 10 grams honey , 1/2 tbsp
- 465 grams unbleached all purpose flour , 3 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp , (I used King Arthur brand with 11.7% protein content)
- 1 3/4 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 10 grams kosher salt , 2 1/2 tsp , (I used Diamond Crystal Kosher)
- 80 grams olive oil , 1/2 cup , divided
- unsalted butter , for buttering the pan
- flakey sea salt
- Whisk water, yeast, and honey in a medium bowl or measuring cup and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, turmeric, cumin seeds and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix with rubber spatula until a shaggy, wet dough forms, taking care that there are no dry, flour patches.
- In a separate large bowl, add 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) of olive oil and oil the sides of the bowl with your fingers.
- Transfer the dough into the bowl. With a little olive oil on your hands, quickly flip the dough over.
- Cover the bowl very well with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for AT LEAST 12 hours. This can actually sit in the fridge for up to 2 days to develop the flavor.
- Butter a 10" round cake pan. Drizzle in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared cake pan pouring any extra oil left in the bowl onto the top of the dough.
- Let rise, uncovered, in a dry, warm spot until doubled in size and relaxed. This can take anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.
- Place rack at the bottom of the oven and pre-heat to 450˚F
- Drizzle the dough with remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Lightly oil your fingers, dimple the focaccia all over as if you're playing the piano. Don't be afraid to be aggressive. My fingertips touch the bottom of the pan when I do this.
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
- Bake, on the bottom rack of the oven, until the focaccia is golden brown and puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes, and remove the focaccia onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!